Wednesday, November 14, 2007

My Favorite Salad Dressing

I got a version of this salad dressing from a Weight Watchers message board several years ago, and instantly was a fan. Since then I have completely forgotten the correct proportions and usually just throw it together as fast as I can. It's supposed to be a vegetarian caesar salad dressing, but I don't know if it tastes much like caesar or not. I like to use it as a dip with carrots as well (pictured).

Nutritional yeast is one of those ingredients that I avoided for years because it seemed too "odd." But I first used it in this dressing, and I became an immediate fan. It's a yellow powder that's very high in B vitamins -- especially B12, which is difficult to get if you don't eat animal products. I usually buy it in the bulk section at Whole Foods.


1/2 cup olive oil, or more if needed
1/4 cup nutritional yeast
1 clove garlic, smashed
1 T Dijon mustard (regular yellow mustard works, too)
1/4 cup tahini paste (sesame)
juice of 1 lemon, and a bit of pulp if you like
Kosher salt and fresh ground black pepper to taste

1. Mix all ingredients together until well-blended.
2. Serve with salad or fresh-cut vegetables.
-- Can be stored in the refrigerator, covered, for up to one week.

No comments: