Monday, September 14, 2009

Worth Remembering

Today, my finicky toddler reminded me once again as long as I keep providing her with a variety of nutritious foods, she will choose from among them a well-rounded diet. Not within each day, perhaps, but probably within each week.

I have ascribed to this philosphy since the beginning of her solid food consumption, but on those days when she refuses to eat anything other than bread and cheese I do feel a sense of growing frustration and even worry. How could she possibly getting all the Vitamin A, the iron, the magnesium, etc., that she needs?

Then comes a day like today, when she turns aside her pita bread and pizza in favor of broccoli, and sweet potato, as well as banana and peas. Apparently, her own little self realized she needed an infusion of something other than complex carbohydrates and cheese. I'll have to remember this the next time I despair of her seemingly endless appetite for bread!

1 comment:

Michelle said...

You're absolutely right that, when offered a varied and balanced diet, children will balance their own diet out. I've seen that time and time again with my own boys. What is it with bread? Ian can't get enough of it either!