Sunday, January 27, 2008

Healthy Start

Two weeks ago, when I went for the standard gestational diabetes test, I also had my iron levels checked. Being vegetarian and pregnant, I was slightly worried that I would have low iron. However, I passed both tests with flying colors!

I like to think that part of my success comes from the little things I do each day to boost my nutrient intake. In addition to aiming for a good variety of foods each day, or at least each week, I also make an effort to start every morning with a healthy breakfast. Most mornings, I have a bowl of oatmeal and a glass of cranberry juice. The oatmeal includes a good balance of complex carbohydrates, iron, fiber, and antioxidants. Here is how I make it:

1/2 cup instant oatmeal, microwaved with 1 cup water for 90-120 seconds
sprinkle of cinnamon
1/4 cup unsweetened applesauce
1/4 cup frozen blueberries, thawed in the microwave
1/8 cup raisins
1/4 cup plain soymilk

On days when I eat this breakfast, I don't feel quite as guilty about indulging my ice cream cravings in the evening!

No comments: